Czechia's Dukovany nuclear expansion cost could nearly double

17. 8. 2026 / Albín Sybera

čas čtení 2 minuty
Czech Vice Prime Minister and Minister of Industry and Trade Karel Havlíček admitted in public that the price tag for the Dukovany nuclear power plant enhancement could rise by a staggering CZK300bn (€12.4bn), nearly double on the CZK400bn projection made by the previous cabinet.

Havlíček said that the CZK400bn price tag did not include costs of the financing of what is already poised to be the largest investment in the history of the country.

"If we look at how much the [two] new blocks in Dukovany will cost, it will be CZK200bn times two, and with the cost of money we are at CZK600-700bn for two large blocks," Havlíček was quoted as saying by online news outlet Novinky.cz on August 14.

 

Local energy analysts warn that Havlíček's estimate is still an optimistic one, as it is based on an optimal scenario in which there would be no major delays or complications, which would make Dukovany the first nuclear project of its kind built according to its timetable.

"It is an optimistic assessment assuming that there won't be notorious delays or reworkings of the plan, that is, complications which have for years accompanied European and American nuclear energy," Jiří Gavor, an analyst from the ENA consultancy, told Novinky.cz, while the outlet noted that costs for the construction of the third unit at French Flamanville rose sixfold, and the unit was launched with a twelve-year delay.

As IntelliNews reported in June, the European Commission (EC) confirmed it ended the review of the Dukovany enhancement under the foreign subsidy regulation (FSR). Last year, Czechia contracted South Korea's Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power to complete the robust project and the EC launched the review shortly afterwards.

As IntelliNews reported, in July 2024, the then Prime Minister Petr Fiala's government announced that two new nuclear units at the Dukovany power plant would be built by South Korea's KHNP, but the selection process was challenged by bidding rivals, US Westinghouse and the French, before the Czech side signed the contract in June 2025, while the KHNP offer was still valid.

The sitting radical right-wing government led by populist billionaire Andrej Babiš and his Ano party has adopted the robust nuclear investment plans pursued by Fiala's centre-right government, and expects the Dukovany's fifth block to be completed in 2036 and the sixth one a year later, though critics warn this is unrealistic.

In October, Czechia also asked the European Commission to approve the public support measures for the construction of the sixth unit at the Dukovany nuclear power plant, triggering the official notification process.

The previous centre-right government launched plans for a huge nuclear power programme to take the place of majority-state-owned energy utility ČEZ's coal-burning power stations, to prepare for higher electricity demand due to the development of e-mobility and to ensure the country remains self-sufficient in power.

Environmentalists argue CEZ should focus more on renewable energy and that the government remains too beholden to the country's powerful fossil fuel and nuclear energy lobbies.

Originally published HERE 

0
Vytisknout
328

Diskuse

Obsah vydání | 17. 8. 2026